Magazine d'affaires


Deviens fan sur Facebook

The Copyright

ddaIf you’ve been a SOCAN licensee for a while you’re probably quite familiar with how our licenses work, how they are administered, and where the money goes. SOCAN and its predecessors have existed in Canada for close to 90 years – so the idea of compensating songwriters and music publishers for public performances of their work is hardly new. But it’s not the only copyright collective in town.

Under a relatively new addition to the Copyright Act, record companies and performers have also obtained to compensation for public performances of their work, through what is known as a “Neighbouring Right”. The organization that administers this right in Canada is Re:Sound (formerly the Neighbouring Rights Collective of Canada [NRCC]). Much like SOCAN, the tariffs that apply to their members’ work are set by the Copyright Board of Canada, to whom they must apply for approval of their tariffs each year

Although Re:Sound’s tariffs cover an entirely different right and benefit a different set of rights holders, in some cases their licensees may be the same as SOCAN’s. For example, Re:Sound now has tariffs covering background music and recorded music to accompany dance, which may apply to the same kinds of businesses with which SOCAN currently has relationships. So please keep in mind that the two organizations are not affiliated. To better learn about you can visitit or the Copyright Board of Canada’s website at or simply contact the « Corporation des propriétaires de bars, barsseries et tavernes du Québec » at (450) 692-8443 or toll free 1 (800) 691-8443.

Par: admin

Ajoutez votre commentaire

( votre couriel ne sera pas affiché sur le site web )

* Champs obligatoires